About Me

My photo
Louisiana, United States
We have been married 25 years and have 2 grown children. The last one is about to leave the nest. No empty nest syndrome here. We are excited to start our next adventure by ourselves.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Melting in Louisiana

Allen and I have started walking again. We took about 3 weeks off just because it is too hot and we were getting little rain showers late in the afternoon but we knew we would have to get back out there soon. It was so hot and muggy last night that I had a little trouble catching my breath. It felt as if I was suffocating. I think I will take a wet towel tonight to help keep me cool and keep me from burning real bad. We walk about 3 miles a day. I know it doesn't sound like much but believe me it is plenty when you are out in the hot sun and you're so out of shape that you have trouble breathing.

I can't complain too much. I've gone from a tight 12 to a 6 in a little less than 6 months. I still need to lose another 5 pounds so my 6's will fit a little better. Other than that, I'm where I want to be. I don't have a flat stomach nor do I have a bikini body but I am a lot better than I was health wise. Clothes are easier to find too. Shoes are another story. Poor Allen went shoe shopping with me one night. We shopped for 3 hours and I still didn't find anything. Most stores around here don't carry wide width shoes and I can't wear shoes with heels. I sacrifice style for comfort.

I know I'm old but I'm at a time in my life where I really don't care anymore. It is so liberating. I can't wait until I'm that little old lady that can and will say whatever she feels like and everyone around her will just laugh, pat her hand and say bless her heart. Which is southern speak for forgive her she didn't mean it. But I probably will mean it.

9 comments:

  1. First and foremost...YOU ARE NOT OLD! Don't say that. For heavens sake, I am a year older than you and I REFUSE to get old already!

    Congratulations on your success. I don't know about three miles a day...but I really need to start walking. Maybe tonight...or maybe not. I think the humidity around here is such that it requires gills to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, confession time...I didn't walk yesterday. But I did spend about 20 minutes in the garden with a hoe, so that has to count for something. I had to proceed straight to the shower afterwards I was so soaked with sweat! It is too dang hot around here these days! This is why Fall is my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you be careful! There is a heat advisory out for today until 7:00 pm, that means the heat index will be around 110 and the actual temperature will be over 100. The humidity is horrible. As for hoeing in the garden, you probably burned 175 to 200 calories. Mom/Aunt Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes I heard the heat advisory take it easy so muggy too. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fonda - It sounds to me like you worked your arms. That sounds like exercise to me.

    I didn't walk last night. I did walk around Wal-Mart for about an hour though. Don't know if that really counts or not. Allen worked on his mom's lawnmower so he sweated a lot more than I did. We will probably walk or ride bikes tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are way ahead of me... I can barely walk 1 mile! just goes to show that just because you are thin doesnt mean you are in shape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is true Kelli. I've always been smaller than Allen and he can literally run circles around me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good for you! I think I'm already at the bless your heart stage... :)

    ReplyDelete