About Me

My photo
Louisiana, United States
We have been married 25 years and have 2 grown children. The last one is about to leave the nest. No empty nest syndrome here. We are excited to start our next adventure by ourselves.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cake Divas

Brittany and I made a cake using fondant this weekend. It was for a friend's baby shower. We have the caked baked, iced with butter cream frosting and the fondant placed on it. Of course we rolled the fondant by hand. that took a little while but it really wasn't that hard.

We have started decorating the cake. I know it doesn't look like a lot but it took quite a while to get this little bit done.
As you can tell the baby is suppose to be a little girl. Her colors are pink, purple and yellow. By this time we had been working on the cake for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours. It takes a long time to roll out all this balls individually and to tint all that fondant just the right color. The spokes on the wheel are individual pieces too.
Almost done. Not much left now. See if you can tell the difference between this photo and the next one.
Completely finished. Took us about 3 hours to get this little cake complete. Some of that time was coming up with the design and trying different things out. Sometime less is more. We had a great time but I definitely have a new appreciation for cake decorators. Doesn't look like it takes very long but it takes a little while if you don't have the gadgets they have. We had to roll all of our fondant out by hand. If I did very many of these I would definitely get a pasta machine that would flatten the fondant for me. I think I will try making a cake for Allen's birthday next month.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!!! I am so impressed! The difference is the pink piping on the bottom of the cake? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually a pink ribbon but yes that is correct. We didn't do too bad if I do say so myself. But I do have to give credit to the fondant. It makes anything look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cake looks great!!! I am all about cup cakes right now because i am horrible at piping... maybe i need to try using foundant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli...I was really amazed at how easy fondant was to use. I've always heard it is so hard but Britt and I both had a wonderful time. Maybe you and Brooke could get in the kitchen and make something. If you go to the Wilton website you can also use liquid fondant on cupcakes. They have so many different techniques to use on different types of cake.

    Thanks Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake looks great! Congratulations to both of you. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I have to say that cake is incredible! I cannot imagine for the life of me making a cake like that. My husband is the baker around here...he makes the kids' birthday cakes from scratch -- I sort of roll my eyes and think, "Why didn't we just buy one at the grocery store?" when I look at the mess in the kitchen. But he bakes out of love, so I can't argue with that!

    Secondly, thank you SO much for your very thoughtful comment on my blog this morning. I am so glad you find it useful, and it really makes my heart sing to know that the words I write mean something to someone out there!

    It's so nice to meet you here, Rita!

    And BTW, congratulations on going from a size 12 to a size 6 -- that's awesome. You have inspired me to get exercising again -- I've really slacked off this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graceful...Thank you for the cake and weight compliments. Our youngest daughter, who's 23, and I had a ball making this cake.

    You are very lucky to have a husband that cooks and from scratch no less. Allen doesn't cook per se but he does love to grill and he is really good at grilling just about anything. And I love to eat grilled food. Since the children are grown now, I really don't cook anymore. My cupboards are bare I'm afraid but our first grandchild is on the way, so I'm going to have to stock the cupboards and start cooking again.
    My fondest memories are of my grandmother's always having something sweet to eat. I've just got to stay out of it so I won't put my weight back on again.

    You are a really talented writer and I will be checking in on a regular basis. I've been saying for a long time now that I need to give myself quiet time with God but sadly, I've never made the time. You have inspired me to make that time. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete