About Me

My photo
Louisiana, United States
We have been married 25 years and have 2 grown children. The last one is about to leave the nest. No empty nest syndrome here. We are excited to start our next adventure by ourselves.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandma Fulton

Today would have been my grandmother's 92nd birthday. My grandfather adored her until the day he died. Their love could be seen by anyone who spent 5 minutes with them. They always had a hug and kiss ready for one of their many grandchildren. She was a wonderful grandmother and she always had something to sweet to eat.

I would always catch the bus at her house. She was usually up cooking breakfast for my grandfather by the time I would get there. I could always grab a biscuit and sausage while waiting on the bus. Grandma was an old fashion housewife. She cooked 3 meals a day, hung her wash on a clothes line, and we always had Sunday lunch as a family. I miss those Sunday lunches.

Every year grandpa planted a garden. I'm not talking about a little garden that he could pittle in. Grandpa's gardens were acres and acres. He plowed it with a mule named Jack. Grandpa and Jack had a very special bond. Jack died not long after our grandfather passed away. Grandma said he died of grief.

I've shelled peas until my thumbs ached and turned purple, silked corn, snapped beans, and picked berries. I couldn't harvest the garden, not that I really wanted to, because of my allergies. I was happy shelling, snapping, and silking in the comfort of grandma's living room. Then came the canning. We canned everything that could be canned, even made catchup one year. At the time I didn't appreciate what we had. What I wouldn't give to go back there now.

I had a wonderful grandmother to show me how to love and care for my own grandchildren one day. If I'm only half as good as she was, then I will be a terrific grandmother for my grandchildren.  I wished my own children could have known her longer. She died when Paige was 5 and Brittany was 3.

Happy birthday Grandma!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Grandma! We miss you!!!

    Thanks, Rita. Tears...and a smile...as I remember her today.

    Love,
    Fonda

    PS...I don't know why, but Blogger will not let me comment this week as myself. I have to be Anonymous...ooohhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's so much more I could have said about grandma but I was getting teary eyed myself and knew I needed to post this today. Love you too.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. My earliest memories are of Grandma Fulton. All her shoes neatly lined up in her room. Sitting on the porch shelling peas. I see her in my dreams often and can't wait to see her again in heaven. How wonderful to have a legacy to leave behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness that woman had a lot of shoes and she ALWAYS kept them in boxes so she could stack them in her closet. That was the only way she would have room for all of them. ha ha. I'm glad you remember her. You and Paige were so young when she died. Paige remembers her but Brittany doesn't remember her at all.

    ReplyDelete